Three weeks ago, my husband and I packed a cooler full of snacks and took a drive to Knoxville, Tennessee for the Big Ears Music Festival. We hiked, saw a lot of great performances, and ate some of the most tender, cloud-like biscuits I have ever encountered.
If you happen to find yourself driving along I-81 into Knoxville, I would 100% recommend you do the following:
- Try the sticky rice gelato at The Split Banana in Staunton, Virginia
- Hike McAfee Knob along the Appalachian Trail right outside of Roanoke, Virgina (optional: eat pizza at the summit from my aunt and uncle’s pizzeria in River Edge, New Jersey—see photos below)
- Order the blue cheese dip at Ridgewood Barbecue in Bluff City, Tennessee
- Sample the biscuits at Tupelo Honey Cafe, Just Ripe and OliBea—all in Knoxville
- Eat way too much fried chicken at Chandler’s Deli in Knoxville
Day 1: Cambridge, MA to Charlottesville, VA
Distance: 560 Miles
We stopped for lunch at La Toscana in River Edge, NJ, where my uncle makes what I consider one of the best slices in New Jersey. We packed a couple of extra slices in our cooler and headed to Charlottesville for the night.
Day 2: Charlottesville, VA to Knoxville, TN
Distance: 400 Miles
It started to rain just as we were reaching the summit. It was cold and misty, but the view was breathtaking. We sat on top and enjoyed the cold pizza slices we lovingly transported all the way from New Jersey….